Kentucky Cleft Teams
If you’re searching for a cleft team in Kentucky for your child, here is a list of hospitals, teams, surgeons and their specific techniques. This list has been compiled by other mommies, so if you don’t see your team here, we will be happy to add it for you.
Louisville KY Cleft Teams
- Dr. Mark Chariker
- This surgeon uses no pre-surgical technique prior to repair
- Lip Repair done between 3-6 months/palate repair done between 9-12 months
- Restrictions & Requirements after repair include: No pacifiers, use of arm restraints, scar cream and scar massage
- Speech therapy begins at 2 years of age
- Additional lip revision at 15 months
*Everyone has been great. surgeon is very caring and explains everything and does not mind answering tons of questions.
- Dr. T. Gerald O’Daniel
- This surgeon uses no pre-surgical prior to repair
- Lip Repair done between 3-6months/palate repair done between 9-12 months
- Restrictions & Requirements after repair include: No bottles, no pacifiers, use of arm restraints, and scar massage
- Speech therapy begins at 16 months (as needed)
- Further nose repair and rebuild will be done at the later end of puberty as to not stunt the growth of the nose. May need scar revision depending on development.
*Our doctor refuses to let his patients use his answering service, he gives everyone his personal cell phone and insists we call with any questions day or night.
*We didn’t have a full “team” I guess because of being an incomplete cleft lip. Our pediatrician gave us the name and set up the first appointment with the plastic surgeon. Then at 1 year old our pediatrician gave us a list of children’s dentist to pick from that had cleft experience. I am not sure of that is considered a full team or what. Our plastic surgeon is the chief surgeon of the cleft and facial deformation team in our area, so he may do every aspect of all cleft repairs. Not sure. But we had a say in everything and felt nothing but love by his office staff.