Arizona Cleft Teams
If you’re searching for a cleft team in Arizona for your child, here is a list of hospitals, teams, surgeons and their specific techniques. This list has been compiled by other mommies, so if you don’t see your team here, we will be happy to add it for you.
Phoenix AZ Cleft Teams
- Dr. Stephen Beal
- Taping and/or NAM prior to lip repair
- Lip Repair done between 4-6 months/palate repair done between 9-14 months
- Restrictions & Requirements after repair include: No pacifiers, use of arm restraints, scar cream and scar massage.
- Speech Therapy begins at age 2
- Scar revision as needed, bone graft around 8 or 9 years
*We work with 3 people on a regular basis and we love them all.
Dr. Glick is the craniofacial orthodontist. She is a big sweetheart and she has a special place in our hearts. She prefers taping because she finds it is easier on the parents AND yields the best results. If taping doesnt work she is also trained in the NAM. We went every week at first then every other when things started leveling out. That many appointments was overwhelming but she was so encouraging the whole way and when we stopped going I felt like there was a hole in my week because we didnt get to see Dr. Glick. And the results we got from the taping were dramatic and fast.
Deborah Leach is the feeding specialist/speech therapist. She knows her stuff for cleft babies and she is also a wonderful person and we loved seeing her. My baby is too young for speech needs so I cant attest to her skills there but I have no doubts.
Dr. Beals we heard was the best of the best. He is the creator of this craniofacial team and a real leader. When my daughter had her surgery my husband at that time in school happened to be learning how to suture, and he said, “Suturing is easy. Getting it to look good is hard, and I have no idea how he did that!” My husband was also born with a cleft lip and palate and we asked his mother what the difference was with him right after surgery and our daughter right after surgery and she said, “Honey, yours looked like hamburger. She looks great!”
Dr. Glick and Deborah Leach also work with Dr. Singh’s and Dr. Workman’s patients. I have not met either of them but I hear they are also wonderful surgeons.
Also part of the team is a psychologist to help mommy adjust and later to help the kids with any self esteem issues, fears, and she even works with siblings. She is great as well.
I cannot recommend this team enough.
- Dr. Raj Singh
- Taping prior to lip repair
- Lip Repair done at 10 weeks (10lbs)/palate repair done between 8-9 months
- Restrictions & Requirements after repair include: No pacifiers, use of arm restraints, nose stents and scar massage.
*They are such a warm and sweet bunch of ladies that really support you.
Tucson AZ Cleft Teams
- Dr. Craig Hurst
- No Pre-surgical Technique
- Lip Repair done at 3 months/palate repair done at 10 months
- Restrictions & Requirements after repair include: Use of nose stents and scar massage.
- Lip/nose revision – 4-5 yrs old Gumline bone graft – 7-8 yrs old
*Everyone is very knowledgeable & willing to take the time to explain things. Appts are offered in a one day event – surgeon, ENT, speech, social worker (dentist will be added later)
*The repair looks amazing. Dr Hurst wants to make sure all my questions are answered & really takes his time at appts. The only issue was I had no idea my child might end up staying in the hospital 4 days for lip repair – Dr made it sound like an easier recovery than it was.